Thursday, February 9, 2012

Week 6, Day 5 - Easy Soup, Salads, and Pizza

We haven't been feeling too well around these parts lately.  Well, I  haven't been feeling too well.  The wonders of winter - stuffy nose, itchy throat, the norm.  All I wanted for dinner were comfort foods.  So Monday night we enjoyed a very simple cauliflower soup alongside a loaded tuna salad and a simple Caesar salad with homemade dressing.  The soup was very much like a thin potato soup - I know people have swapped these two vegetables in other recipes and I hear cauliflower provides a bit more nutrients than the classic baking potato (though I have no intention of leaving my potatoes in the dust - ever).  The tuna salad had a great array of flavors in it - especially for a girl who typically only adds mayonnaise.  I think the addition of pine nuts was my favorite, though.


On Tuesday we had pizza.  I can hardly think of anything I'd rather eat when I'm not feeling well (or even when I am feeling well).  I made a broccoli rabe and onion pizza.  I've never tried broccoli rabe, so I was pretty excited to take the plunge.  It was not what I anticipated - much leafier - but it held up well in flavor.  My only complaint about the pizza was the amount of onion.  I think I would have been more ok with it had the onion bee cut into think rings or half-moons, but this onion was died and roasted and it just didn't do it for me.  I was a good girl and took my taste-testing bites, but then resorted to scraping most of it off, child-style.

I wasn't home for dinner last night - the husband helped in clearing out some leftovers - but I did make a cake for a dinner party I went to.  More on that and our guest of honor later.

2/6
- Silky Cauliflower Soup
- Deb's Caesar Salad Dressing
- Dill-Pepperoncini Tuna Salad

2/7
- Pizza with Broccoli Rabe and Roasted Onions

No comments:

Post a Comment