Sunday, February 5, 2012

Week 6 - Baking Extravaganza (And a Dip...)

I promise you I am not a slacker.  You wouldn't know this seeing as how after not posting for two days I'm coming to you armed only with three desserts and a simple dip.  Where are the dinners?  Well, they've been scarce around here, that's for sure.  I had some planned, but time ran a bit short, desire for them died out, and someone cooked for us last night so I'm coming empty-handed.  But I've brought you three desserts.

First came the cake.  A blood orange olive oil cake to be exact.  The flavors blended nicely and I was impressed by the strength the orange flavor held.  The one drawback was this cute little process of "supreming the oranges".  Basically, get the orange off it's peel and membrane while still salvaging a decent amount of orange.  Oh dear.  At least my hands smelled fresh afterwards.  I don't even have a pictures to show for all my work.

No worries, though, because next came the cookies and there are few things for me that can not be improved when cookies have been made.  First, another recent post of Deb's because it seems her recent recipes have really been catching my eye.  Potato chip cookies.  Don't judge.  Not until you have made them and tasted them and after that if you still turn up your nose you can just bring the rest over to me.  Because I thought they were perfect - buttery and sweet with just a slight edge of crisp saltiness.  Indulge your curiosity and try them.


If potato chip cookies are too strange for you, how about some classic chocolate chip cookies instead?  Deb's favorite, in fact.  And I can understand why.  These beauties were chunky with the much longed-for chewy soft centers and crisp edges.  Drop the nuts if you're allergic, and I think the cookies would suffer little.

Finally last night I threw together a quick dip to bring to a game night at a friend's house.  Literally thrown together as you toss a few ingredients into a food processor, mix it up, and (if you're me) juggle it immediately out the door with kids in tow.  It's not the most attractive dip, but I know few dips that are truly attractive in their mashed up glory.  But it was quite tasty and I argue that more of it would have gone if we hadn't run out of crackers.  Note - one box is not enough.



So really, Renee - Why have you been so distant/busy?  
Alright, I'm not here to self-advertise.  But remember that cake I baked last week?  Well, I completed the project at the end of this past week.  You can see the results here.  As much as this blog is about cooking through the Smitten Kitchen, I worked hard on said project so encouragement over there is always welcome!

2/1 (Oh yea, I baked on Wednesday.  It took me this long to get it up)
- Blood Orange Olive Oil Cake
- Potato Chip Cookies
- Our Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies

2/4
- White Bean Roasted Red Pepper Dip

1 comment:

  1. Those potato chip cookies were really yummy:)

    ReplyDelete