Thursday, February 2, 2012

Week 5, Day 5 - Indian Food and Some Expletives

In the precious movie Julie and Julia, Julie Powell comes to a turn in her endeavor of cooking through Mastering the Art of French Cooking that she dreads - aspics.  Now, I wouldn't dare compare anything in the Smitten Kitchen to the gelatinous mess of a savory aspic.  Seriously, Julie Powell was a much braver woman than I to attempt such a feat.  However, I tapped a bit into that feeling of dread earlier this week when I forced myself to pick out some Indian cuisine for this week's menu.  Dreading...dreading...dreading.

There isn't one particular thing about Indian food I dislike - it's more of a culmination of events.  The spices, mainly, but also the ever-presence of chickpeas just doesn't jive with my tastebuds.  Fortunately, Deb's list of Indian fare is short - less than 10 recipes from what I remember - but I thought better to take some of it on now before I reach December and have a week full of Indian meals before me.



I will say that the meal came together quite easily.  Chana masala  is what I would define as a sort of Indian chili.  Chickpea and tomato based and loaded with Indian spices of every kind.  Now, Deb instructs you to make the investment and buy all these spices which I'm sure is great advice if you like Indian cuisine because you will then surely tap into them again.  However, if you're like me and cooking it merely to fulfill a project or you simply want to try it for the first time, I suggest going to Whole Foods where you may conveniently purchase a wide variety of spices in bulk and by bulk I mean 15 cents worth, which is exactly what I did.  I tasted the dish before letting it sit for a while and though it had some kick it was nothing compared to what it was after some time simmering.  My gracious husband ate his entire bowlful by taking a swig of milk between each bite then triumphantly yelling "FINISHED!" when he reached the end.



Alongside I made vegetable fritters with a curry lime yogurt dip - think latkes with many more vegetables.  I relished in the thought of my boys scarfing down vegetables for dinner and even explained to my son they are like pancakes and even come with "dippies" on the side.  He didn't object - even took a bite.  And here's where the expletives come in.  Alright, expletives was a total coy to get you to read, but in all honestly what he said should be considered expletives at the dinner table.  First was "This is disgusting!"  Well, unaware that he even knew what this word was, my husband and I failed in our parenting skills and both burst out laughing. Now egged on by the laughter, he followed it up with "Pee-you!" and "That's Gross!".  I did compose myself enough to instruct that he is never to react that way when someone cooks for him, but still allowed another night of noodles for dinner.  Apparently the boy has his mother's love of Indian food in him.  I, however, did not mind the fritters nearly as much and my husband even raved about the dip.  For being some of the most dreaded meals on the list, the night could have been much worse.

2/2
- Chana Masala
- Indian-Spiced Vegetable Fritters

No comments:

Post a Comment